Whether you’re a promising college candidate looking to break into the college of your dreams or a sophomore aiming for excellent midterm grades, you need to pass your essay. In fact, in our educational and academic systems, the essay is of great importance. Teachers and educators use an essay to judge and assess a student’s critical thinking, gauge their knowledge, and gain insight into their personality.
Learning how to write the perfect essay is more than just an academic exercise. It is more like a life skill that will hold you in good stead even after you are done with your educational and academic duties for this lifetime. The experts at Fresh Essays say it’s all about getting into the habit of putting into words what you want to say consistently. In this resource article, we are going to share with you some of the top things you need to do for successful essay writing.
7 things to do for successful essay writing
If you are struggling to write an essay and want to organize yourself in the best possible way, this section of the article will help you:
1. Do – Read instructions and directions clearly –
Whenever your professors or someone else asks you to write an essay, they will mention specific instructions that you should follow. Look them up and spend a good five to ten minutes figuring out what they are. Following the instructions is part of your essay writing process and you should never miss it.
2. Do your research in a detailed and educated way-
Although most individuals do not give importance to plagiarism, it is a big problem in academics. In fact, if you’re caught even once, you’ll be tagged for the rest of your life. Make sure that whenever you cite sources, you’re not taking a half-baked approach. Be sure to research what you write thoroughly.
3. Get into the perfect zone to write your essay naturally-
Writing a good essay is all about getting into a perfect zone and letting your words flow naturally. You could have your special place and it could be your library, your bedroom or even a bench in the local park. Make sure that whatever location you choose, you are able to focus well on the task at hand. You can also try keeping distractions like smartphones away.
4. Do – Demonstrate clarity of thought, opinions, experience and knowledge –
The best essays aim to capture readers’ attention from beginning to end. This means you have to be consistent. One way to do this is to use transition words and phrases to move from paragraph to paragraph. You should also draw on your own experiences and reality, but avoid showing yourself too much in the essay. Keeping it simple will help.
5. Make-Keep your essays crisp, short and punchy-
Do you remember the last Netflix series you were addicted to? Do you remember how it was short, crisp, full of action and never got bored? This is what your essay should be all about. Don’t overload your writing with unnecessary points. The more direct you are in your logical arguments, the better the final result of the essay will be.
6. Do- Try writing the essay in present tense always-
One of the biggest mistakes students make when writing an essay is compiling it in the past tense. To be honest, if you use the past tense, you lose touch with reality and fail to keep the reader engaged in your writing. Try to make sure you write in the present tense unless the subject is such that no matter how hard you try, you can’t do it.
7. Do- Explore and present your advanced vocabulary to the examiner-
Writing a good essay is all about showcasing your mastery of the language. A good way to prove the same would be to use words, phrases, and quotes to improve the quality of your essay. Make sure you are sure to use words according to the context of the essay. If you try to use them just to show off, you’ll be in trouble for it.
By following the seven do’s mentioned above, you will be able to write very smart and interesting essays.
5 things not to do to write a successful essay
If you want to turn in the best essays, you also need to know some don’ts that you should religiously avoid destroying your hard work. We will keep it short and discuss only the main five –
- Don’t Ignore or Neglect Formatting Options which have been stipulated by the teacher or examiner. If you read carefully, you will always see that a format like APA, Chicago or MLA has been indicated for this part.
- Don’t think asking for help will make you look weak. This means that if you are unclear about something, you should contact your teacher, a faculty member, a teaching assistant (TA), or anyone else you think can help you.
- Do not keep delaying the essay writing process. You may think you have a lot of free time, but that will quickly fade. You need time to write a good essay. That’s why you shouldn’t wait until the last minute.
- Remember to proofread and revise the essay after finishing writing the same. If you think you won’t be able to spot mistakes in your own work, make sure the proofreading is done by a friend or your TA.
- Do not stray in terms of arguments and conclusions. Beating around the bush is the worst thing you can do for your essay. You need to make it direct, precise and to the point. If you stray from the purpose of the essay, the examiner will lose interest.
The last takeaway
If you think you’ll ever get up and write the best essay ever, it’s not going to happen. Getting good at essay writing is all about practicing the same thing over and over again. In a nutshell, it’s about building a successful and logical habit.
Following the points mentioned in the article will help you master the basics and perform well in the subject you have always wanted to study. If you have any questions you’d like us to answer, please let us know in the comments section below.